Monday, August 12, 2013

PUTTERING WITH PATCHWORK

Someone asked me if I had turned to the 'dark side' and gone 'Modern'...referring to the look of what I consider refreshing simple blocks with ample negative space of the current new patchwork trend.

Actually, if you've been quilting as long as I have, you'll realize that most of the designs are not new at all.  However, the limited number of patches in the typically large blocks, the use of solid fabrics, and perhaps the updated color combinations does give that impression.  But, think Amish style quilts.....their dynamic visual impact is similar.  I'm thrilled that this new trend has reminded me that it's not necessary to cut a zillion patches to create only complicated patchwork!!

Because I have more free time than I did in the past, my attention has been drawn to the overflowing closet of cotton fabrics.  My love for the last 6+ years has (and continues to be) working with felted wool...yet, using some of this other stash is compelling as well.

However, I almost dread getting out the older hand-dyed fabrics, knowing most of them will bleed.  Well...it has to be done....so out comes the Synthropol to treat and remove the excess dye.

Piles and piles of now stabilized but wet fabric await.....

 ...the next step was to press everything.  Frankly, a job I dislike....but I had lots of "Housewives" (with all their antics) on my DVR.....so the day went quickly.

 I'm now pairing the fabric with the large stash of batiks gifted to me by my friend Helen.  

Check back tomorrow to see more on this subject.....



3 comments:

The Idaho Beauty said...

I love that you reference Amish quilts, Vader. ;-) And now that I have access to my books, I can say with some authority that there was another era in quilting when solid fabrics were popular. The 1920s & 30s saw a lightening and brightening of colors, and with the advent of quilt kits, solid fabrics were seen more often. It was easier for the companies to ensure identical kit contents over a longer period of time if they did not included printed fabric. My book also notes that it's quite common to find 2-color quilts from the Art Nouveau era made up of simple designs of triangles, squares or large hexagons in these combinations: black and white; bright yellow and black; red and black; and the ever popular red and white. It is noted that the actual quilting designs were also often simple on these quilts - grids and fans. Mmm, sounds pretty modern to me!

Norma Schlager said...

Yummy colors! Actually that's the only time I like to iron. It's not until they are ironed that you see the true colors of the hand dyes. I look forward to seeing what you do with these.

Sylvia said...

Pressing fabric is not high on my list of fun things to do in the studio. But I found that I have to repress when I pull the fabric out to use, so I no longer press before putting fabrics in the stash. I just fold as neatly as possible and move on to the fun stuff!

I like that the "Modern" quilting movement has gotten a lot of young people sewing. Sure they think that the wheel has been reinvented, but at least they are creating and that is the important thing.