Thursday, May 1, 2014

MORE DYEING TECHNIQUES

We worked non-stop....we were on such a roll, we ate lunch standing up!!
 Kate shared a technique she'd previously done.....soda ash soaked fabric was folded and arranged in a microwave safe container.
 A small amount of dye was added and let to sit about a minute until it began to wick up the sides.
 Then another color was poured onto the top section.
                                        
 After microwaving......this is the result I got with a piece of wool.

 Kate also shared this method:  One end (about 1/3 of the total amount) of a piece of prepared fabric is positioned in a container and covered with dye.  After letting it sit for a minute or so, that section is pushed up to the far side of the container....then dye is poured onto the middle section which too is push up close to the first dyed section.  Finally the last third is dyed......  The container is covered and microwaved for 1 minute.
Aren't these great results of the 'smooching' technique?!?
 Between all these techniques we also began some ice dyeing.  It's fast becoming our favorite method.  I've blogged about this before so I won't go into the details again.....except to say this is a view of the fabric sitting on a rack which is placed over a tray.  Ice covers the fabric which is then sprinkled with powered dye.  (WEAR A MASK)  The whole package is covered with plastic and batched until the ice melts...
This is one of my ice dyed pieces, which I LOVE!!!

 And as I close this final report.....take a look at this lovely piece....it's my clean up rag.  We all had one the same size.....and challenged each other to use it in a project to be completed by our next 3 amigo get away.....date to be determined.

I hope you've enjoyed and have been inspired by our outing.....Perhaps it will encourage you to gather some pals and plan your own day of experimenting.

3 comments:

The Idaho Beauty said...

I Really like those microwave techniques! May have to give it a try. I always liked using those wicking techniques but using a small container to aide in the process is something I never thought to try.

JennyPennyPoppy said...

Really enjoying your posts and pictures! Just love seeing your whole dyeing processes. Thank you :)

margaret said...

now I know what the microwave is for! the dyeing has worked beautifully