Friday, August 1, 2014

LIGHTNING AT SUN SET

My minor eye issue has continued, keeping me from doing a lot of close work....but over the last couple days I was finally able to finish the small wall piece I've been blogging about over the last week.
 I wanted to share a few tips about how I mounted the work.  Due to the weight of the laser cut motif, I decided to use a cradled wood frame.  (a thin veneer replaces the typical canvas wrap.)  Eliminating the bulking canvas corners is beneficial when working with wool, plus the sturdiness of the wood helps to support the metal piece.

I begin by wrapping the frame with a thin layer of batting......
Next I add the almost completed embellished wool.  My friend Kate shared this great tip....to keep the top in perfect position as the edges are stapled to the back......secure it with thumb tacks!!  Isn't that clever?!?

You'll notice the laser cut motif has not been added yet. 
Before wrapping, I determined its placement and drilled holes into the wood.  Next, a thin wire was threaded from the back, through a hole, around a narrow 'leg' of the motif and through the corresponding hole to the back side where it was twisted tightly to secure the motif. 
LIGHTNING AT SUN SET   8" x 8"   © 2014
Artist deconstructed screen printed wool, hand 
embroidered, bead embellished, featuring a laser cut metal motif.


I'm linking to several great sites where you will enjoy seeing what other creative endeavors others have been up to this week.  Nina-Marie's Off The Wall Friday, Sarah's Whoop, Whoop Friday, and Crazy Mom.

11 comments:

Windy Hill Happenings said...

This is a wonderful piece...haven't seen this one yet...Love the mounting also!

Kaja said...

Some great tips - thanks for sharing.

LA Paylor said...

the mounting description is great
LeeAnna

Linda M said...

Great mounting tips, and I love how it's turned out.

The Inside Stori said...

This is reply to Lee Anne's comment....your blogger profile is a no reply......hope you read this.....your comments are appreciated.....sorry I can't tell you personally.

Linda A. Miller said...

Thanks for the clear mounting technique of your lovely work!

Robbie said...

Sure hoping your eye issue get better!!! love this piece and thanks for showing us how!!!

The Idaho Beauty said...

Clever mounting and attachment techniques. The hole drilling thing seems a pain - getting the placement right and all, but then I remember you as fearless with a drill!

margaret said...

works perfectly a great piece

Margaret Cooter said...

Thank you for explaining what a cradled frame is - I've wondered about that for a while...
And thanks for the helpful explanation of the mounting.

Kathy said...

Came out really well and the mounting tips are wonderful! Thanks. Hope your eye issue is resolved soon, too.