Friday, June 10, 2016

SUMMERTIME - NEW WORK

It's been a very frustrating couple of weeks after embarking upon cataract surgery, first for one eye....then two weeks later for the other.  My friends caution me to be patient, that it will be worth it.  I'm counting on their advice because right now I regret the whole thing.

If you are like me.....NOT being able to sew is like not breathing......thus my frustration.....with that said, I actually (slowly, ever so slowly) finished another piece.  Sales at the NC Arboretum exhibit that I'm doing with two pals, Kate and Judy, have been good and replacements are needed....yeah.
Our 5th annual Girlfriend Art Camp in Phoenix in February yielded numerous pieces that I was anxious to work on.  Our first ice-dyeing session was disappointing.....not failures, just unexpected paler than usual results. This was supposed to be PFD rayon/cotton fabric but I suspect it wasn't.
This is one of my pieces that was reworked with mono printing using thinned acrylics & stencils. After stabilizing and sandwiching with a thin batting, it was machine stitched.  Now I love the simplicity of this piece.
SUMMERTIME  15.5" x 21.5"
Ice-dyed and painted cotton rayon, machine stitched. 
Edge facing and hanging sleeve complete this piece.

Check out these links to see what others have been working on this week:  Sarah's Whoop Whoop Friday, Nina-Marie's Off The Wall Friday, Crazy Mom Quilts.
SaveSaveSaveSave

9 comments:

Linda M said...

The re-work looks wonderful. Hope the eyes improve soon so you can get back to what you love.

Judy Warner said...

Hope you continue to heal, Mary. Give it time! You will be back up to speed and seeing so much more than before!

Nancy said...

Oh my, Mary, eye #2 done and not the improvement you'd hoped... yet. Emphasis on the "yet". So hoping things will clear up and you'll get the desired result soon. I guess patiently waiting is the key, but that's never easy when there are projects awaiting you. All the best! Your new work is lovely. And how nice the sales have been satisfying- worth the efforts.

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Mary, your piece is stunning. Good luck with your eye sight! Hope you get to quilt your heart out this summer :-)

Karen @runsewfun said...

I have heard of ice dying but have not tried it. I think the fabrics look lovely. Your finished piece is beautiful. Hopefully you'll be seeing better soon and this will all be just a memory.

Angela said...

Love what you have added! Be well.

margaret said...

oh dear hope the surgery went okay but seems you are not happy about it, I am sure all will be well in a few days, not telling you about the bad time i had with my left eye. Your ice dyeing piece looks lovely, I really like the delicate colouring you created even if it was a mistake.

Afton Warrick said...

I wish you a speedy recovery. Your quilted piece turned out nicely in spite of paler than usual results.

Robbie said...

Love your piece, Mary!!! Do hang in there with your eyes...it just takes time and adjustments...even the glasses you had may not work now! Another frustration fr sure!