Saturday, November 4, 2017

P.S. - ONE MORE TASK.....

Oh ya......yesterday's post neglected to mention just how long it will take to pull the zillion thread ends to the wrong side, bury and tie them off!! Tedious....however, due to the black sashings, each of the indigo sections must be stitched individually....meaning threads have to be tied off at the beginning and end of each line of stitching.

My machine has a tie off function....hummmm fuss budget me is not satisfied with the look of those small knots! At least I've been able to amuse myself and catch up to some of the silly reality TV shows I follow.....

It'd be helpful for potential buyers to have an understanding about what's involved in creating a piece of fiber art....that'd go a long way to better acceptance of our work as ART. (And, the value.)  Alas, as long as I have a needle, thread, and fabric.....I'll be making my art!


5 comments:

Kathy said...

Now that it's done...................could you have gone back and forth, stitching along the side for each drop and then a final line of stitching all around the section? Only one start/stop that way, but maybe not clean enough for your perfectionism!!! No one knows how much work goes into a piece of art, but you're right--we will always keep making it!

The Inside Stori said...

For those of you who dig deep enough into blogs that you actually read the comments......I'm responding to Kathy's very good suggestion. BTW - If you want to learn good tips....read her blog.....she's always experimenting and has a boat load of useful methods.

Kathy's order of stitching direction would certainly reduce the number of starts and stops, however because I was using a programed serpentine stitch, I would have had to switch to a straight stitch to travel to where the next row begins, then switch back.....my machine is not that smart....or I'm not smart enough to create a program to do that!! PLUS...I'd have to turn the quilt each time since I'm not doing free motion quilting. Obviously, it's a great solution for straight line quilting!

Ann Scott said...

Your Indigo quilt is wonderful. Oh you made me laugh... Just the other day I pulled out an art quilt I thought was finished, turned it over to see the label, only to discover all the thread ends waiting to be knotted and hidden!

Robbie said...

This is going to be lovely...but then I've said that before! HA

I tie my on that front then feed through the batting/layers and pop...I've had too many issues catching those threads on the back...usually I'll just stop and tie them as I go...depends on my mood! HA

Madalene Axford Murphy said...

I agree that tying those threads by hand create a much better look than anything a machine can do at this point. It's mindless enough work, though, that I usually can multitask with a good video when I'm doing it.