Monday, March 5, 2018

FAILURE

I'm still playing part-time nurse during 'the husband's' surgery recovery period, obviously there's not much creating going on here.  

For lack of current project news, I decided to share my recent disappointing failure.  The picture doesn't show the eyesores of the creases, wrinkles and bubbled fabric and paper map....what a mess.

It's extremely rare for me to give up on a project.  I don't know if this is a good or bad thing, but I can honestly say there have been less than a half-dozen projects I've given up on and trashed.  I usually do not surrender and somehow find a way to make it work....but this is beyond repair.

Our son is an avid bicycle rider, pedalling for pleasure and often from home to work. (Makes a mother crazy thinking about all that traffic, distracted drivers, and those narrow streets.)  The idea of this piece was to feature an enlarged silhouette of a bike on a map of the San Francisco/Bay area where he lives.

I didn't just jump into it.....a lot of testing went on before I stabilized the paper map and applied the fabric bike.....clearly NOT enough testing!!  Small sample tests don't always translate to larger scale projects.  

It's human nature to show our successes and avoid mentioning ones that don't work.  But, the instructor in me still likes to share process dilemmas.  We can all learn from each other. Unfortunately, this one has no solution.  I have a couple of ideas how to begin again, one being a Spoonflower fabric map.....but I may be 'over it'.  One-of-a-kind fiber art takes work.....and I love waking up each day to more challenges.

7 comments:

Kathy said...

What an awesome idea and worth more experimenting. I have wanted to meld paper and fabric and haven't played with it yet. Maybe we can play together online when your nursing duties lighten up. And maybe we'll both end up with failures, but it will be fun playing! Your picture and concept are wonderful. Sad that it didn't work in the ways you have tried so far!

Julie Bagamary said...

Thanks for sharing. Maybe cut it up and add fractured "sashing" at angles?

The Inside Stori said...

Good brain storming Julie....the problem is visually the map creases show too much and it's bubbled from apply it to a foundation....not to mention the very bubbled fabric bike.....applied with thinned modge podge. I tried fusing the fabric bike to a plan section of an extra map as an experiment...but the heat of the iron damaged the printing ont he map. If I proceed with this idea....I am thinking more and more of either photo transferring the map images or having it reproduced by Spoonflower. In the end.....this idea may have run its course.....ready to move onto something else for right now.

The Idaho Beauty said...

You should check with Hilary at https://livingtowork-workingtolive.blogspot.com/. She's worked a lot with old maps and might be able to give you some tips.

It's a great a concept. Now to overcome the technical challenges!

Ann Scott said...

Spoonflower was my first thought. Maybe after some time passes you will have an even better idea (Though that one is very cool) and it will flow smoothly.

Sherrie Spangler said...

I love the idea and the bike design. Looks pretty good in the photo, but I guess it must be worse in person.

liz said...

I love your concept and would love to see the finished product if you try it again.
Brilliant gift idea for your son!